Google+ Local & Map Marketing
When people are searching for your type of business like: dentist, doctor, chiropractor, salon, restaurant, contractor, etc., much of the time they will be using Google to search. And, with Apple’s IOS 6 update, they will be searching Yelp with their iPhones.
Below the ads on Google (which can be quite expensive to be on the top) is what’s called Google Maps. I’m sure you’ve seen them with the little pins that show the location of the business on a map on the right side of the page.
Heatmap and What it Means!
50% – 1/2 – of the clicks are on the top 3 businesses in Google Maps. And, you can be sure that a similar pattern is true for iPhone searches using Yelp.
The heatmap demonstrates what people are looking at on a webpage. In this heatmap you can see the heavy yellow concentration on the top 3 positions in Google+ Maps.
You can see that there’s less yellow, red and grey respectively for areas that are less viewed on the page.
Because most of the focus is on the top 3 listings, that’s where people are going to click.
What does that mean for you?
It means that your competitors are getting YOUR business if you’re not in the top 3 positions in Google Maps AND the top 3 positions in Yelp.
This image on the right illustrates the calls that may be received on a weekly basis for companies that are in the top 3 positions.
Let’s say for example, there are 1,000 people every month in your town searching for your type of business. According to Google, 500 of those people will click on, and call, the top 3 businesses in Google maps. That means the other 7 business are fighting for the scraps that are left.
And, if you’re not in Google maps at all, you are lucky to get any calls from Google searches.
What would happen if you were getting only 5 additional calls each and every week? What if there were 10?
What Can You DO?
If you are in the top 3 positions today, Congratulatons! The only thing I’d recommend is that you continue to monitor your position and take immediate action if your position slips.
If you’re not in the top 3 positions in Google Maps or not in Google Maps at all, you need to step up and get your business moving in the listings. This is money out of your pocket. Your competition is getting YOUR customers, clients, and patients!
Here is a blueprint of the process for getting your business in the top 3 positions in Google Maps.
How Long Does it Take?
You are probably asking yourself, “How long does this take?”
Depending on where you are to begin with, this can take anywhere from 60-90 days to move you. And, depending on the competition in your area, it could take longer.
As you can see from the illustration, it’s a 5 step process and each step is crucial in making the whole thing work.
- Research and Setup
- This is where we determine the keywords that are appropriate for your business
- Determine where you stand for those keywords
- Get a tracking phone number so we can track what calls are being received from Google
- Develop your Google + Places page
- Determine where your competitors are receiving their links
- Off Page Optimization
- Optimize the website
- Backlinks to website
- Claim your accounts at the various review sites, like Yelp
- Off Page Back Linking
- Set up the linking strategy based on competitive linking and our expertise
- Begin implementing the backlinking strategy
- On Page Optimization
- Track Your Leads
- Keep track of phone leads as they come in to determine if we need addtional keywords
- See how many calls you are receiving each week.
- Determine how many appointments/sales you should be getting each week from the calls
- Review phone scripts to maximize the number of appointments/sales for each call
The Bottom Line
You can do this yourself, or you can hire us to do it. Call 800-211-4931 to discuss how you can get more calls and more business each and every week.